HOT SPOTS & IRRITATED SKIN
Pet parents must pay close attention to environmental, dietary and situational ailments irritating your pet’s skin such as: allergies, fleas, tick bites, matted/thick/dirty coats, sun burn, wet dogs, or anal sac disease. These ailments can cause you pet to chew, lick, bite, and scratch those areas – at times – to no avail, which can become very painful and dangerous for your pet. Sometimes chewing can even be prompted by boredom. Hot spots and inflammation can occur quite rapidly after a pet starts itching, biting and licking these affected areas – which will prompt the development of painful, red, and moist irritated lesions. These lesions are called hot spots, also known as acute moist dermatitis, and must be treated immediately.
TIPS FOR PREVENTING HOT SPOTS
- Groom your dog regularly and keep hair clipped short.
- Use flea & tick products recommended by your vet.
- Keep your pet active and healthy. Feed a good diet, and provide lots of exercise and play time to prevent boredom.
- Dry your pet completely after a bath, and clean and dry pet after a swim in the lake or ocean.
It’s important to determine the cause of the underlying issue, thus you should consult your veterinarian if hot spots become a persistent problem. In between vet visits, Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Hot Spot & Itch Relief line provides Hydrocortisone, a corticosteroid to control itching and inflammation while Lidocaine, an OTC analgesic reduces pain.
- Shampoo relieves skin conditions and hot spots. Common causes are weakened immune system, allergies and insect bites.
- Symptoms of these conditions are itchy, swollen, redness, warm/hot to the touch, moist, bloody and sometimes pus.
- Colloidal Oatmeal, Aloe Vera and Alpha Hydroxyl Acids soothes, moisturizes and protects skin
- It rebuilds the epidermal layer of skin. Itching, redness and swelling will reduce.
- Discourages the urge to lick, bite or gnaw at affected areas
- Use with Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Hot Spot & Itch Relief Conditioner and Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Hot Spot & Itch Relief Spray.
Wet coat thoroughly. Apply shampoo and work into a thick lather, massaging well into the coat to saturate skin. Allow to remain on pet for 5-10 minutes. Rinse well. Use twice weekly until irritation subsides. For topical use only on dogs and cats over 12 weeks. Avoid contact with eyes. Keep out of reach of children. If irritation develops, discontinue use and consult your veterinarian.